Create impactful experiences with a new approach to event design
Meeting professionals have a new set of realities; new questions to ponder; new considerations and new ROI metrics. The Nature of Space report, powered by Marriott International examines how planners can look at their event experiences differently.
This report looks at our innate human need to connect with nature - and how event planners need can leverage nature-inspired design to create impactful, memorable events. Discover how to put human health and experience at the very heart of events with our practical tips and download the report now.
Explore the latest trends in event design
Access to nature and natural elements is linked to a range of positive outcomes, which planners can use to create impactful event experiences.
Biophilic event design incorporates this evidence by integrating environmental elements, light, patterns, sound and colours of nature.
Events create powerful experiences that provide deeper meaning and context and influence how we think and what we think. When designing an event experience, including natural elements offers us the opportunity to create a powerful ecosystem of learning and building relationships.
How to design event experiences with nature in mind
1. Use of light
- Use lighting to create moments of focused attention, such as spotlights or uplights on key areas
- Lighting not only centers the attention, but helps you rule over your senses and helps the brain quiet distractions and impulses
- At entrances to show floor and large general session rooms, install diffused lighting and shadows by creating a canopy or pergola to decrease stress and chaos
- Use lighting to mimic day-to-night by uplighting or dimming fixtures and décor
2. Placement of structures, surfaces and textures
- Ensure structures such as walls, tables, seating and lighting can be moved easily to adjust to the event’s needs
- Textures, patterns and color schemes have good physiological impacts on people and become memorable, symbolic references
- Customizing the color schemes and décor of the space to each locale will bring in authentic feel and flavour
- Incorporating woods, oxidized metal, or stone in the event design immediately connects the space to nature
3. Bring the outdoors inside
- Place live, air-purifying plants in high-traffic areas
- Schedule program breaks outdoors or in areas with low-profile windows
- Layer elements to produce a sense of refuge - such a park on an exhibition show floor
Discover more inspiration and tips in the Nature of Space report - download it now!